Coach Deering's Micro-Bio
The 2019-2020 school year is my first year at Pickens High School. This year I am teaching Lifetime Sports and coaching football and track. Prior to coming to Pickens High School, I was at Creekview High School for 13 years and Denmark High School for 1 year.
Lifetime Sports Syllabus
Team Sports is a physical activity class that focuses on participation as it relates to cultural, ethnic, gender, and physical diversity in such sports as basketball, baseball, football, soccer, softball, speedball, dodgeball, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball or any game that incorporates teamwork.
COURSE OBJECTIVES- the student will:
- Demonstrate a level of competency in particular skills, and perform those skills with consistency in the appropriate setting in covered sports.
- Apply rules and strategies of the sport or activity appropriately in such activities.
- Display appropriate etiquette, interaction, care of equipment, and safety during an activity during such activities.
- Identify and apply critical elements essential to competent performance in such activities.
- Describe principles of training and conditioning appropriate to specific sports and activities.
Class Rules and Expectations
- Students must dress out everyday with proper shorts/sweatpants, shirt and shoes. For example, students will not wear jeans, boots, nor sandals.
- Students are not allowed to bring food or drink into the gym. There are water fountains in the locker rooms and in the lobby, if needed.
- Students are responsible for all toiletries and securing their valuables. Locker rooms will be locked during class time, but it is still recommended to lock valuables in a locker during class.
- Students are not allowed to bring cell phones in to the gym. This is an active class and cell phones have no place in the class.
- Students are not allowed to leave the gym or stadium area without teacher permission.
- Students are expected to follow all rules/expectations listed in the Student Handbook.
- Students will refrain from using profanity during class.
- Students will be on time to class. There are 10 minutes between classes; therefore, students have enough time to be in the gym, dressed out, and ready for class before the bell rings. Anyone not dressed out and ready to go at the bell, will be marked as tardy.
- This is a participation class. Each student will begin the class with 100 points. 5 points will be deducted for every day that the student does not participate in class. This includes absences and non-dress days.
- Each student will have the opportunity to make-up missed points. There are three ways to make-up a missed day.
- 1. A 1-page typed summary of a related health article will be worth 5 points. The referenced article must be turned in with the summary in order to receive full credit.
- 2. A 10 minute jog/run will replace a missed day.
- 3. A doctor's note or documentation of an excused absence will remove a missed day.
- If a student refuses to participate for 6 or more days, then actions will be taken to remove the student from the class.
Contact Coach Deering
The best way to contact me is through e-mail. My e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org