WELCOME TO PICKENS HIGH SCHOOL
Home of the Dragons
Washington Youth Tour Information
Juniors who live in an Amicalola EMC household are eligible to apply for the Washington Youth Tour.
SCHOOL IS FUN
If you are interested in trying out for the 2020 football cheerleading squad, there will be a parent / athlete meeting Thursday, January 30th at 6:00 in the new PAC. See Coach Petti in 422 with any questions.
Our School Mission
The mission of Pickens High School is to help all students realize their potential by providing the best educational situation possible.
This Friday, January 24th, is the deadline for any senior to turn in their Big Canoe Scholarship form. Please make sure to turn these in to Mrs. Poss by Friday, January 24th at noon.
School Advisory Council
Local School Councils (LSC) were established as a result of Georgia's A+ Education Reform Act of 2000. This legislation required that all schools in Georgia establish Local Councils by October 1, 2003. The purpose of the LSC is to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult educational problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.
All members of the School Council must:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues.
- Regularly participate in council meetings.
- Participate in information and training programs.
- Act as a link between the school council and the community.
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community, and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.
- Student Learning is the primary goal of the school.
- Students' learning needs should be the primary focus of all decisions affecting the school.
- Parent, students, educators, school board and councils, and the entire community are responsible for implementing and achieving the school's goals.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs and may require special services or resources.
- A safe and physically comfortable environment promotes student learning.
- A student's self-esteem is enhanced through developing and sharing mutual respect among students and staff.
- Challenging expectations and a supportive environment increase individual student performance.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
- All students can learn, achieve, and succeed when provided developmentally appropriate learning activities.
- Cultural diversity increases student understanding of different people and cultures.