WELCOME TO PICKENS HIGH SCHOOL
Home of the Dragons
PHS Teacher of the Year
Congratulations to Kyle Rasco. He was chosen as Pickens High School's Teacher of the Year for 2019-2020. Mr. Rasco teaches Sports Medicine and Essentials of Healthcare. He is also the Certified Athletic Trainer for Pickens High School as well as the Assistant Athletic Director.
PHS HOMECOMING QUEEN & PRINCESS
Congratulations to Haley Brooks, 2019-2020 Homecoming Queen and Junior Paige Klein, Homecoming Princess.
HOSA CLUB TRAVELS TO FALL RALLY
On Friday, October 11th the PHS HOSA Club traveled to the GA National Fair in Perry, Georgia. Students had a wonderful time eating and participating in HOSA Club activities.
Support PHS Drama
Boys basketball tryouts will be October 21 & 22 after school. You must have a physical and all insurance forms be completed. You can go to www.pickensdragons.org to access all forms. Girls should sign up with Coach Thomas in room 412.
Our School Mission
The mission of Pickens High School is to help all students realize their potential by providing the best educational situation possible.
If you are interested in Dual Enrollment for Spring of 2020, please go by the counselor's office and fill out the appropriate forms. You will be contacted by Mr. Bell at a later date.
- Student Learning is the primary goal of the school.
- Students' learning needs should be the primary focus of all decisions affecting the school.
- Parent, students, educators, school board and councils, and the entire community are responsible for implementing and achieving the school's goals.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs and may require special services or resources.
- A safe and physically comfortable environment promotes student learning.
- A student's self-esteem is enhanced through developing and sharing mutual respect among students and staff.
- Challenging expectations and a supportive environment increase individual student performance.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
- All students can learn, achieve, and succeed when provided developmentally appropriate learning activities.
- Cultural diversity increases student understanding of different people and cultures.
School Advisory Council
Local School Councils (LSC) were established as a result of Georgia's A+ Education Reform Act of 2000. This legislation required that all schools in Georgia establish Local Councils by October 1, 2003. The purpose of the LSC is to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult educational problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.
All members of the School Council must:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues.
- Regularly participate in council meetings.
- Participate in information and training programs.
- Act as a link between the school council and the community.
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community, and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.
The final date for senior portraits will be October 23. No appointment is necessary and no fees or orders will be processed on that date. Seniors will be called alphabetically by last name throughout the school day. Two formal poses will be made, and students/ parents may view and purchase online once photos are uploaded. Any senior who has not had a portrait made with Prestige/ Lifetouch must do so in order to appear in the 2020 Draca yearbook. Drapes will be provided for females and faux tux tops will be provided for males. Students who are off campus part of the day may have photos made before departure or upon arrival. Students who are off campus all day need to plan to come to campus for photos at some point during the day. Photos will begin at approximately 8:15 a.m. and end upon a final all-call when the alphabetical process ends.
Senior recognition ads are available through Jostens Yearbooks. All recognition ads must be purchased online. Access purchase at jostensyearbooks.com. Deadline is November 2.